King Valley’s Whitlands vineyard’s are high altitude at 800m allowing pinot gris’ crisp elegance to shine through. Something that King Valley pioneers and the brand’s new owners, the Brown family, has plenty of experience in showcasing. This pinot gris is a blend of fruit from selected King Valley vineyards. While 70% has been fermented in stainless steel, in the French gris style the remaining 30% has been fermented and matured in oak, both new and old. This time in oak, plus a little residual sugar (around 3g/l) that evens out the balance, has added lush weight to the fruit.
The typical ripe pear and nut varietal fruit has a spicy edge and a riverstone minerality savouriness. The rich and lush fruit spills onto the palate and leaves that savoury spice in its wake. This is one of those easy to drink wines, with or without food, and it is made to enjoy now while it is young.
Quickie review «Lush and ripe with a satisfying savoury finish, an easy choice.»
Country of Origin: Yarra Valley & King Valley, Australia
Tasting Date: May 2018
Price: AU$20 | UK £14 | US$17+
Drink: now – 3 years
Needs food: no
This wine was featured on a winemusing.tv ‘Quickie Review’: